Buy Our Berkshire Pork
There are currently two ways to purchase our pork. The first is to stop by our seasonal retail outlet(s) (see our locations) and pick up individual cuts like our pork chops or whole hog sausage, and the second way is to buy a whole or half pig to stock your freezer with. Pricing for our products is provided below. As we grow, we hope to be able to offer whole and half shares every month of the year and sell a wider variety of individual cuts at a wider variety of stores and markets.
Please note that for whole and half pig shares the per pound price is based on a hanging weight.
The weights on the diagram above are approximate ranges. As a rule-of-thumb, you can expect the take home cuts to be approximately 70% of your hanging weight, which means that for a whole pig, your average price per pound will work out to be about $9/lb. If, like us, you are a nose-to-tail consumer of pork, you will have more take home cuts and your average price per pound will be lower, closer to $7/lb. This price includes all butchering and smoking charges. Email us to find out when the next available pig share is..
What to Expect When You're Expecting (A Half Pig Share)
Assume for the sake of this exercise that you have decided to buy a half pig share. The list below provides a play-by-play of what happens next:
- Email us at email@example.com to let us know you wish to purchase a pig share. We will let you know at that time, when the next pig share is available.
- You send in a deposit of $200 ($400 for a whole pig) to Stonewood Pastures, 66 Town Farm Road, Ipswich MA 01938. This reserves your share, and helps us with the feed expenses.
- You fill out an online cut sheet (see buttons below). This tells the butcher how you want your half pig cut and processed.
- We raise your pig for you until it reaches market weight and drop it off at the butcher for you with your processing instructions.
- One to two weeks after dropping off your pig, we pick up your fresh meats, wrapped and frozen, except for the smoked meats (e.g. bacon, ham), and bring it back to our farm in Ipswich where you come and pick up your share that same day. Our storage capabilities are very limited, so it is imperative that you pick up your meat within a few hours. A half pig share will take up approximately 2 cubic feet of freezer space or less and weigh approximately 55 - 70 lbs. This is also the time that the remaining balance is due ($7.25/lb times the hanging weight, minus the deposit, or approximately $450).
- Approximately two to five weeks later, we pick up your smoked meats, wrapped and frozen, and bring it back to our farm in Ipswich where you come and pick up your share that same day. No additional payment is due.
- You go home and enjoy your stash of ribs, chops, hams, loins, sausage, and bacon, plus all the other bits you want to keep! You can expect the following amounts of the various cuts from a 100 lb half pig share (though most shares will be closer to 90 lbs):